Planning your Trip
Flying from Manchester Airport? Here are some tips to keep in mind to ensure the start to your holiday or business trip goes as smoothly as possible!
What to See and Do Nearby
There are plenty of attractions to enjoy in Manchester if you get some time to explore the city before or after your trip. Some of the highlights include:
- Manchester Museum is a fun and fascinating museum complete with artefacts from as far back as Ancient Egypt, as well as numerous, well-designed exhibitions that are suitable for all ages.
- Legoland Discovery Centre consists of over 2 million Lego bricks and is a fun-packed attraction for the whole family. Book your tickets online to save extra money!
- Manchester Sea Life Centre, where you can discover the mysteries of the deep with over 5,000 species of creatures. You can even organise a sleepover for the children who can snooze next to Ernie the Giant Sea Turtle.
- The Royal Exchange Theatre, is a fantastic Victorian theatre where you can catch a range of performances, including a Shakespearean play to a stand up comedian.
- Trafford Shopping Centre, is a must visit for everyone, especially the fashionistas amongst you! Full of designer and highstreet stores, ranging from clothing to household items, you'll be sure to find the perfect souvenir - even if it's for yourself!
Pack Your Bags with Care
Packing can be a real chore, but there are right ways and wrong ways to go about it. First of all, you should be aware of your baggage allowance in terms of size and weight for both hold luggage and hand luggage. Every airline has different limits, so know what you are allowed to take with you to avoid paying extra at the airport.
Check You've Got the Essentials
Even if you lose your luggage, you can still survive if you have the essentials, so make sure you pack your passport, tickets, visa, travel money and credit card and keep them on you at all times.
One thing you also want is your travel insurance policy. You may want to print out the details of this and keep them in your wallet so that you always have an emergency number to call and you can quote your policy number. Make sure you buy travel insurance before you go, and you can find out more at Travel Insurance Guide.
Store Your Important Travel Info Online
Here's a good tip to keep in mind when you travel overseas. Now that internet access is so easy to find all over the world, you may want to email scans of your important documents to your own address, or store them in an online storage service like Dropbox.
That way, if you lose your passport, travel insurance documents, visa or anything else, you can access the scans online.
Get Your Foreign Exchange Sorted Early
Want to save money on your holiday cash? Then sort it out early. Rather than waiting until you get to the airport, compare rates online in advance. These are often better than you will find at the airport, so you can sort out your spending money early on.
Another option is to get yourself a prepaid currency card. These are often available in different currencies like dollars and euros, so you can buy your currency in advance if the rate is good, and then you won't have to worry about currency fluctuations as your trip approaches.
Money-Saving Ideas for Your Trip
- Compare everything before you go – there are always savings to be made on flights, accommodation, airport parking, travel insurance and foreign exchange when you go on holiday, so start comparing as early as possible to get the best deals.
- Get the basic package at hotels – opt out of breakfast and laundry services at your hotel if you can, because you can often get these for much less nearby.
- Be sure to check out all of your accommodation options before you book to see what is the most cost effective option in the area.
- Buy travel passes – if you are travelling to a city, find out if you can buy a travel pass. These provide reduced entry to major attractions and often include free travel on public transport.
- Take the right credit card – some credit and debit cards have much lower fees for spending overseas, so do your research and apply for one well in advance to save money while you spend.